Guido Mine, Zabrze, Poland
Field covered by study visit: coal mining
When: 1 st year of studies, organizing institution: Silesian University of Technology/AGH, duration: 1 day
The Guido mine was set up in 1855 by Guido Henckel von Donnersmarck (1830-1916) to provide coal for the Donnersmarck mills. Maximum production was in 1885 when 312,976 tons of coal were cut. When the coal was worked out it continued to draw water from adjacent mines. This function declined in the 1930s and the mine closed in 1960. In 1967 the colliery it reopens as a test mine for colliery machines. It 1987 the site was given listed status. Shortly before, in 1982, an open-air museum had been set up on the surface site: that closed in 1996. The current visitor mine museum opened to 170m in 2007 and to the full 320m in 2008.
The underground museum is 320m ben eath the surface, with a second level representing a 19th-century mine at 170m. 320m makes it the deepest visitor mine in Europe. It exploits the black coal vein of No.620 coal seam. It has on display an Alpina tunnelling machine, AM 50 longwall cutter-loader. the 250 tons coal containers, the conveyor belts and the suspended railway. It has simulations of mining disasters, and a concert hall.
During study visit students have opprotunity no only to see how the coal mine works, but they could work for a coupe of hours as a mines. In addition students could see evidences of environmental consequences of mining activity as well as notice connections with other parts of economy and links with lebour market.