List of courses AGH - year 1
Chemistry of coal (AGH year 1)
The aim of the course is to acquire a fundamental knowledge on the structure, properties and chemistry of coal and carbonaceous materials.
1) understand coal structure models and the genesis of natural coal, carbonaceous materials sources and physical and chemical properties of coal and carbonaceous materials;
2) understand the influence of different parameters of coal structure on the applicability of coals; and
3) be able to carry out and interpret basic physico-chemical analyses of carbonaceous materials.
Lectures content are:
• Introduction to coal technology, nomenclature and classification
• Theory of coal and organic derivatives genesis and metamorphism.
• Modern models of coal structure.
• Lignite and hard coal structure and microstructure.
• Carbonaceous natural fuels classification and sources.
• Texture and chemistry of coal surface.
• Carbo-chemistry of coal (coal treatment).
• Introduction to coal liquefaction and gasification.
• Review of coal derivatives and semi-products. Modern carbon materials.
The determination of:
• Density of hard coal by pycnometry.
• Decolouring properties of hard and active coals.
• Wetability of hard coal.
• Specific surface area of hard coal.
• Elemental analysis of hard coal.
• Surface groups of hard coal.
• Self-ignition of hard coal.