List of courses AGH - year 1
Advanced liquid biofuels (AGH year 1)
1. Introduction to the course. The content of the course and requirements for the completion of the course. The role of fossil liquid fuels in transportation end energy sector.
2. Fuels for transportation. Physical and chemical property characterization data. Internal combustion engines. Alternatives to fossil fuels. Renewable fuels (biofuels)
3. Biomass and wastes (organic raw materials) as feedstocks for biofuels production. First- and next-generation biofuels. Advanced biofuels.
4. Conversion of lignocellulosic and algal biomass, and wastes into biofuels and chemicals
5. Sustainable development, environment and socioeconomic aspects. Politics, profit, and perspectives.
Students work in a group. Each group carries out 3 experiments out of the listed 4.
1. Distillation. Boiling Point Curves for diesel fuel and biodiesel
2. Impact of bioethanol on volatility of motor gasoline. The determination of alcohols and ethers in motor gasoline
3. The preparation of biodiesel by transestrification of fats. The determination of selected quality parameters for biodiesel: viscosity low temperature properties (CP, PP, CFPP), Cetane Index
4. Oxidative stability of bio-oils
Additive and non-additive motor fuel properties.
Linear programming for fuel blending. Various mixing rules along with correlation used
to estimate the fuel blend properties.